There are four types of formats and types of term papers available and these are the following: APA Style, MLA Style, Chicago Style and Turabian Style. I’ll be discussing each one to guide you on which type and format to choose.
APA Style and format
This pertains to the writing style guidelines which are developed, preserved, and updated by the American Psychological Association or APA. The APA format and style entails in-text citations of information sources that are usually listed within the text where they are referenced rather than in footnotes and endnotes. There are guidelines and overall rules to be followed in writing APA papers and these are as follows:
• The paper should be typed and double-spaced, on standard 8 ½” x 11” and also set the outside margins at 1 inch.
• Place any of the applicable sections in each page of the paper like the abstract, text, references, appendices, author identification notes, footnotes, tables, figure captions and figures.
• Remember to place a running header on each section on the first line of the page, flush right.
• Begin your manuscript title about 1/3 way down the page. The title block should include full title, writer’s name, course name and number, instructor’s name and be centered and double spaced.
• The running header that has a consecutive page numbering must appear flush right in the upper right-hand corner of each page together with the manuscript title page. Moreover, the running header must appear one-half inch from the top of the page and should at least contain a brief version of the manuscript title followed by the page number.
MLA Style and format
This type and format of writing a term paper was developed, sustained and from time-to-time updated and issued by Modern Language Association of America or MLA. This type of writing a term paper covers all aspects of scholarly writing, beginning with mechanics of writing and publishing as well as preparation of these and dissertations. It also gives special emphasis on the proper citing of sources of information in one’s term paper. It also focuses on providing guidelines on how to properly and consistently cite these sources of information throughout the term paper. There are various guidelines and rules in creating an MLA type of term paper.
Just like in APA, the paper in MLA should also be typed and double spaced, on a standard 8 ½” x 11” white paper. Likewise, all the margins are also to be set at 1 inch. The header with consecutive page numbering must also appear on the upper right hand corner of each page and 1/2 inch down from the top margin. The title is not really required unless your professor asks for it to be included. In MLA, a title page is generally replaced by starting at the top left hand corner of the first page, including your name, course instructor’s name, course name/number and the date. The title of the paper must be centered and double spaced from the bottom of the previous entry either in the header, or the date if there was no title.
Chicago Style and Format
This particular style and format of writing a term paper was set forth by the Chicago Manual of Style which was developed more than 100 year ago and has become the definitive reference for publishers and writers around the globe. Chicago style is based on some self-proclaimed virtues which are consistency, clarity, literacy, good sense and good usage. The objective of the Chicago style is to encourage the development of writing that is consistent and clear, making communications more effective. This style also adheres to standards that balances honor for originality and expression. It also permits for an evolving language to flourish thus providing more opportunities for expression within the written word.
Turabian Style and Format
Turabian style and format has revolutionized modern day language and has become the standard style and format for writing term papers. It makes use of simple, direct language and comprehensive research paper guide which provides modern writers with the guide they need.
This type of style has been highly acclaimed as one of the best methods of documentation. In fact, every solid academic paper needs sources and Turabian style has provided them with one of the best methods citation.