+234 809 3423 853
1.1 Background of the Study
A large format printer is a printer that can print on large stock which can range from two or more than 15 feets in width. Such printer typically uses inkjet technology to print on a variety of output, including premium glossy coated paper for signs and posters.
Large format printing can function as banners, posters, wallpapers and more. They are ideal for materials that have visual or graphic heavy design. Their wide images and texts make big format prints effective advertising tools. They create more impact and attract customers better than normal sized material.
Not too long ago, large format printing was an expensive business. Large format print came to Kaduna early 2011. The first large format printing machine was brought in by Molson printing press situated along Kaduna South and have now relocated. Meadal was the second press to launch the machine situated along Lagos Street by Jema'a road Kaduna North. As at then, not all presses or individual can afford the large format printing machine because it involved huge capital to establish.
Subsequently, other presses started buying theirs due to fall in the price of importation. Though, the machine has two manufacturing outlet. The China products, which are cheap to purchase and the German outlet which cost is on the high side, though more durable.
There are various shapes and sizes of large format printing machines; the challenger 10feet and Galaxy 6feet, 8feets and 10feets are some of the brands known. The materials used are Flex, Self Adhesive Vinyl (S.A.V), Mesh, Transparent sticker, Reflective sticker.
The Chinese brands are the ones which are mostly purchased by printers due to the cheapness, and sales conditions. Presses which have or own a large format presses has increased to roughly ten presses. Examples are OGB digital world, OGA print limited, JOPA print, Excell print, to mention a few. Even with the increase of outfits undertaking large format printing, the pressure for large format printing by clients is still much. They still cannot meet with the demands.
There study therefore is looking at the feasibility of adding to the number of presses currently handling large format printing in the metropolis.
When there are many presses that have enough or standard machines, work will go well and meet the deadline given by the operator to the client. Setting up of more presses will help to reduce the monopoly of the few outfits currently engaged in the large format printing, especially in Kaduna South. This is because printing is concentrated in Kaduna North metropolis.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Kaduna metropolis where printing operation are been carried out few presses engage in new modern technology such as large format printing presses using large format and Direct imaging machine which make them have a monopoly of the market. These few presses engaged in large format printing are mostly located in Kaduna North metropolis. This study is to look at the possibility of increasing the outlets of large format printing to ease the quest of print buyers for posters, banners and short run printing materials, especially in Kaduna South of Kaduna metropolis.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The general purpose of this study is to carry out a feasibility study if setting up a large format printing press in Kaduna South metropolis. Specifically, the following objectives shall be examined:
1. Examine the viability of setting up more large format printing press in Kaduna metropolis.
2. Examine the factors that can hinder the setting up of large format printing press in Kaduna metropolis.
3. Examine the benefits of setting up of large format printing press in Kaduna South of Kaduna metropolis.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The study will help to benefit;
2. Print buyers
1. The students of department of printing technology who want to do their industrial training and also come for excursion so as to be shown on how the machine looks like and how it works.
2. It will benefit print buyers, who will now be able to meet deadlines and reduce the stress of wasting on the queue for long
3. It will help to reduce the monopoly of the few outfits currently engaged in large format printing.
1.5 Research Question
The research questions are aimed at answering the specific objectives of the research.
i. What is the viability of setting up more large format press in Kaduna metropolis?
ii. What are the factors that can hinder the setting up large format printing press in Kaduna metropolis?
iii. What are the benefits of setting up of large format printing press in Kaduna South of Kaduna metropolis?
1.6 Scope of the Study
The study focuses on the feasibility study of setting up a large format printing press in Kaduna metropolis, especially in the Southern part of the metropolis.
1.7 Definition of Terms
1. Aqueous ink: thermal or piezo inkjet printer using an ink know aqueous or water base.
2. Dye sublimation: inks are diffused into the special print media to produce continuous tone prints of photographic quality.
3. Mural: mural is any piece of artwork painted or applied directed on a wall, ceiling or other permanent surfaces.
4. Pen/plotter: A pen or pens are used to draw on the print substrate most used for producing CAD drawings.
5. Press: A place where printing operations are carried out.
6. Standees: It’s a graphics made to “stand up” on their own.A FEASIBILITY STUDY OF SETTING UP A LARGE FORMAT PRINTING PRESS IN KADUNA METROPOLIS